One of the things that keeping a blog is good for is to make public commitments that (in theory) hold me accountable. So here’s a pronouncement from me: Making Friday is not optional, and for the rest of the year, barring floods, fire and aeroplane trips, I will be in the Think Tank every Friday.
The entire reason that I ended up having Skinny laMinx is that I love to make things in my studio, and I love sharing what I made with other people. So if I don’t make things in my studio, Skinny laMinx will no longer be what it’s supposed to be, and I’m not going to enjoy it, which is going to become evident in the things the business produces. Simple! And a great reason to get me to the studio.
Also, I had a really great time in the studio on Making Friday last week, just fiddling about a bit. These are some of the ways I spent my day:
- I tried drawing my new plant for a while
- I made some stencilled versions of sketches of people I’d made while in Amsterdam (the lady’s mouth turned out awfully mushy)
- I looked through my book on colour by Terence Conran and photographed the stripey end pages on my Sway design, in a rather marvellous optical effect.
- I looked at the insides of envelopes
- I laid out all the bits and pieces from Oddjects prints and drawings that I’d made earlier this year.
- Probably the most satisfying part of the day was these tiny illustrations I made of two rather nice potplant stands that I spotted in the weekly Vamp newsletter that arrives in my Inbox every Friday morning.
And that was Making Friday. Not a bad way to end a week, is it?