Questions about how our How Pattern Works online course?
Here are some FAQs, and you can email us too.
WHAT WILL I LEARN? Over the course of 4 lessons, you will:
- learn how to create two sets of tile cards based on Lisbon tiles
- experience hands-on understanding of how tiled patterns work
- gain insight into how a single motif can create endless pattern possibilities
- learn how to design a single tile element to build up an allover repeat pattern
- start to give some thought to how pattern works in the larger picture
CAN I DO IT AT MY OWN PACE? This is a self-paced course. Each of the four video and downloadable activities follows on from the next, and can be returned to whenever it suits you. Just log in again each time.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE? Below, time estimates for each section:
Introduction – 5 minute read
STEP 1 – Make Tile Cards: 20 – 90 mins, depending on the activity you choose.
STEP 2 – Pattern Layouts: Set aside about 60-90 minutes
STEP 3 – Allover repeats: Set aside 60 minutes
STEP 4 – Patterns in your life: Set aside 45 minutes
WHAT MATERIALS WILL I NEED?
- A pencil
- A ruler
- heavy card
- If you don’t have a printer, you’ll need paints or pencils to create tile cards
DO I GET LIFETIME ACCESS? Yes, you can log in any time to access the lesson content.
CAN I SHARE THE VIDEOS AND PDFS? I made the content of this course to be enjoyed by the people who paid for it. Sharing any of the content of this course, whether with an individual or with a group, is out of the spirit in which I created the course, and It would be a betrayal of the trust I have in sharing my ideas. Of course, I”m unlikely to catch you, but it would still be wrong.
CAN I SEND IT TO A FRIEND? Nope, but you’ll find plenty of free content at the Making Friday page that you can send to your friends.
CAN I TEACH THIS COURSE TO MY STUDENTS? If you’d like to give access to this course to a group, please email [email protected] about a group discount.
WHAT IS MAKING FRIDAY? Since 2008, I’ve kept weekly Friday appointments with myself in order to make sure I keep making new things, even though Skinny laMinx keeps me so busy. Read all about it here.